Friday, February 11, 2011

Jaguars go for Asian flavour

 
The returning Jaguars have admitted they are ready for the challenges ahead

After all, the gulf between the Jaguars and the other 11 S-league clubs is expected to be significant,
To aid them for the tough road ahead, they are going Asian as all their 4 foreigners are from East Asia with 3 Koreans and 1 Japanese.

The most recognisable would be former Super Reds fullback Kim Seong Kyu, who was out of action for most of last year due to injury when in the Young Lions squad.

He joins 22-year-old Takaya Kawanabe from J-League Division One club Omiya Ardija, while another two South Koreans ready to come onboard once they pass the Beep Test.

Head coach Terry Pathmanathan also believed the local lads will have a role to play as he is gratified by the way the whole team has been working so well as a unit, despite any shortcomings in technical acumen the homegrown players may display.

The former Young Lions assistant coach was also quick to point out that everyone in the squad lacked nothing in drive or enthusiasm.

“The local players approached me to join the team, not the other way around, and their commitment and work ethic have really impressed me,” he said.

“They are showing a lot of determination and even though some have only previously played in the National Football League or the Prime League, or in inter-varsity football, their attitude has been second to none.

“I have always enjoyed the challenge of assembling a new team from scratch. I’ve done it many times before, so this is nothing new for me.

“I enjoy looking at the new faces every year, it’s a good experience for me,” he smiled.

“I am sure that these players will go out and compete in every game. In fact, if any of these boys do well enough to get a move to a bigger club at the end of the season, I can tell them now they have my blessings as they have earned it.”

No comments: